Apple and cinnamon is a classic of combinations for a pie and it works just as well in this scone mixture.
For a seasonal treat serve the scones with blackberry jam and some whipped cream. Our apple and cinnamon scones recipe makes approx 12 scones.
- 450g plain flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- ½tsp cinnamon
- 50g caster sugar
- 100g cold butter
- 2 eating apples – 150g when cored, peeled and finely chopped
- 250ml milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
For the glaze:
- Egg wash – some beaten egg with a little milk
- 25g granulated sugar and ½tsp
- Cinnamon, mixed together in a bowl
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C/gas mark 7.
2. Sieve all the dry ingredients together into a large mixing bowl and mix well with a wooden spoon.
3. Add the cubed butter to the flour mixture. Rub in the butter until it resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in the diced apple.
4. Make a well in the centre of the mixture and add the milk and egg to the dry ingredients.
5. Mix together with a wooden spoon, then use your hands to make a soft dough.
6. Turn the dough out onto a floured board. Wash and dry your hands. Knead lightly, not too much as the scones will become tough. Roll out the dough and cut out using a medium circular cutter, making about 10 scones.
7. Brush the tops with the egg wash and then dip each one into the sugar and cinnamon mixture.
8. Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes until golden brown. Remove and cool on a wire tray. Serve warm or cold with a jam of your choice.
Recipe and images by Nessa Robins
More you might like:
Berry breakfast muffins
5 fab sugar free snacks
Gluten free lemon coconut bars