Delicious and nutritious cheesy fish pie – the most perfect comfort food for all the family.
- Olive oil, for greasing
- 1kg potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
- Salt and black pepper
- 200g salmon
- 200g white fish, such as hake, haddock, pollock or coley
- 200ml milk
- 80g butter
- 50ml cream
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 200g frozen peas, thawed
- 120g Cheddar, grated
1. Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4. Lightly grease an ovenproof dish with olive oil.
2. Place the potatoes in a saucepan, add some salt and cover them with water. Bring to the boil and cook for 10-12 minutes until soft, then drain and cover with a lid to let them steam dry.
3. Meanwhile, place the fish pieces into the prepared dish, skin-side down. Season lightly with salt and black pepper. Pour the milk over the sh so it is about half-covered. Place in the oven and bake for 12 minutes.
4. Remove the fish from the oven. Drain off the milk into a jug and reserve.
5. Increase the oven temperature to 220˚C/200˚C fan/gas mark 7.
6. Use two forks to ake the sh apart. Remove the skin and discard. Distribute the fish evenly around the dish.
7. Add the butter to the potatoes along with some salt and black pepper. Add three-quarters of the reserved milk. Mix the remaining milk with the cream and mustard and pour the mixture over the fish.
8. Mash the potatoes until smooth and creamy, adding a little more milk if necessary.
9. Gently mix the peas into the mash.
10. Spread the mash in an even layer on top of the fish. Scatter the grated cheese over the top.
11. Return the dish to the oven and cook for 20 minutes, turning halfway through. Remove from the oven and allow to sit for ve minutes, then serve with green vegetables.
Per Serving: 538kcals, 23.3g fat (12.8g saturated), 49.7g carbs, 7.7g sugars, 34.3g protein, 0g bre, 0.485g sodium
More like this:
Bacon and broccoli cheesy bake
Chicken and vegetable pot pie