This dessert is a real treat and impressive enough to serve up if you have company. And it’s gluten free too!
Serves 4 (with plenty of leftover meringues!)
For the meringues:
- 2 large egg whites, cold from the fridge
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp instant espresso powder
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 pinch cream of tartar
- 100g sugar
For the chocolate cups:
- 65g sugar
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- Pinch of salt
- 350ml whole milk
- 2 large egg yolks
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 85g dark chocolate with 70% cocoa solids, chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 100°C/80˚C fan/gas mark ¼.
2. Using an electric mixer on a medium-high speed, beat the egg whites with the salt, espresso powder, vanilla, and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Very gradually beat in the sugar, adding just one tablespoon at a time and beating for 3-4 seconds before adding more. When the sugar has all been added, increase the mixer speed to high and beat until the mixture is glossy and forms stiff peaks.
3. Line baking trays with parchment paper and drop heaped tablespoonfuls of the meringue mixture onto the parchment, leaving at least one inch of space between each one.
4. Place in the oven and bake for about two hours until dry, crisp, and firm. The meringues are ready when they release easily from the parchment paper. Turn off the oven and prop the door open slightly with the handle of a wooden spoon. Let the meringues sit inside for one more hour. With the meringues still on top, slide the parchment paper onto wire racks to cool completely. When cool, serve with the chocolate cups.
5. For the chocolate cups, combine the sugar, cornflour, and salt in a medium pan. Add about one third of the milk, and stir to form a smooth paste. Whisk in the egg yolks and the remaining milk.
6. Place the pan over a medium-low heat and cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon or spatula, for 12-15 minutes or until thickened; do not allow the mixture to boil.
7. Remove from the heat and add the vanilla and chocolate, stirring until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth. Pour into four teacups, cover and refrigerate for at least two hours until chilled. Serve with the coffee meringues.
Per Serving 363kcals, 11.4g fat (6.8g saturated), 59.6g carbs, 57.2g sugars, 7.4g protein, 0.8g fibre, 0.269g sodium
More you might like:
Coconut and orange cake
Creamy blackberry mousse