This is a really lovely family meal, and you may be surprised at how much the kids like the strong flavours involved. However if you think capers are one step too far for your brood then just leave them out!
- 2 chicken fillets, cut in half horizontally and pounded to 1cm thick
- Salt and black pepper
- 40g plain flour
- 2 tbsp Parmesan, grated
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp lemon juice
- 250ml chicken stock
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 tbsp capers
- ½ tsp dried chilli flakes (optional)
- 80ml cream
- 2 tbsp parsley, chopped
- Mashed potato, polenta or pasta
1. Season the chicken pieces on both sides.
2. In a shallow dish, combine the flour, Parmesan and garlic powder. Dredge each piece of chicken in the flour mixture and shake off any excess flour.
3. Heat the oil over a medium-high heat in a pan large enough to hold the four chicken pieces. Place the chicken in the pan and brown for 3-4 minutes per side or until cooked through. Transfer the chicken to a plate, cover with foil and keep warm.
4. Pour out any excess oil from the pan, leaving only enough to coat.
5. In a measuring jug, combine the lemon juice, chicken stock, garlic, capers and chilli flakes, if using. Whisk until combined.
6. Turn the the heat to medium and return the pan to the heat. Add the lemon juice mixture and allow to bubble, scraping any sticky bits from the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Let the sauce reduce for 10-15 minutes.
7. Remove the sauce from the heat. Pour in the cream and whisk to combine. Place the pan back over the heat for one minute or just until it begins to boil. Remove from the heat.
8. Place the chicken on serving plates and drizzle the sauce on top. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve immediately with mashed potato, polenta or pasta.
Per Serving: 387kcals, 27.5g fat (8.6g saturated), 10.9g carbs, 0.7g sugars, 24.9g protein, 0.8g fibre, 0.573g sodium
Thanks to our colleagues in Easy Food for this fabulous recipe.
More like this:
Simple Sloppy Joe recipe
Quick chicken casserole
Your weekly meal plan