Indulge your sweet tooth with this seasonal and gluten-free summertime treat.
150g gluten-free flour
25g ground almonds
1 tsp gluten-free baking powder
½ tsp salt
90g butter, at room temperature
175g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp almond extract (optional)
Zest of 1 lemon
For the glaze:
1. Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4. Grease a standard 900g loaf tin and line with parchment paper.
2. Sift the flour, almonds, baking powder and salt into a bowl.
3. Beat the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl for a few minutes until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until combined. Beat in the extracts and lemon zest.
4. Alternate beating in the flour and milk, starting with the flour. Mix until the batter is just combined.
5. Pour into the tin and smooth the top. Bake in the middle of the oven for 40-50 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
6. Meanwhile, use a fork to mash the blackberries in a bowl. Stir in the caster sugar and lemon juice. Leave at room temperature for 10 minutes until the berries release their juices.
7. Strain the mixture through a sieve, discarding the pulp. Whisk in the enough of the icing sugar until a glaze forms.
8. Remove the cake from the tin and leave to cool completely. Drizzle the glaze over the cooled cake and decorate with extra blackberries.
More like this:
Gluten free lemon coconut bars
5 fab sugar free snacks
Seedy mango and date energy bars