These gluten free lemon coconut bars are the perfect treat and so delicious. Who says gluten free has to be boring?
For the crust:
- 40g coconut oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 100g desiccated coconut
- 50g almond flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 egg white
For the filling:
- 3 whole eggs, plus one egg yolk
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tbsp almond flour
- Icing sugar, to dust
1. Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4 and line a 23cm square baking dish with parchment paper. Melt the coconut oil in a saucepan over a medium-low heat and stir in the maple syrup, coconut, almond flour and salt until combined.
2. Remove from the heat and stir in the egg white. The mixture will be sticky.
3. Pour the mixture into the prepared dish and use a spoon to flatten it out. Bake for 10-12 minutes.
4. Beat the eggs and egg yolk for a few minutes until frothy. Stir in the remaining ingredients and beat for two minutes.
5. Pour the mixture over the baked crust. Bake for 15-18 minutes until the edges are light brown and the centre is set.
6. Leave to cool, then dust with icing sugar and slice into bars.
Per Serving 104kcals, 8.6g fat (5.1g saturated), 5.7g carbs, 3.6g sugars, 2.5g protein, 1.3g fibre, 0.05g sodium
More you might like:
Coconut and orange cake
Rocky road chocolate cake