Little habits can make all the difference to how you take on each day. So ditch the bad ones (reaching for the phone before your eyes are properly open?), and make some better new ones.
Here are some simple ways you can get your day off to a positive start – and be ready to take on the world (or at least some small children).
1. As soon as you get out of bed, take a minute or two to stretch. According to the Mayo Clinic, stretching increases muscle flexibility, which improves daily performance and overall movement. It also increases blood flow to your muscles and your brain, while at the same time, it relaxes you, thus easing tension and stress.
2. Keep a little book of inspirational quotes or passages handy. Have some inspirational quotes handy from which you can choose one appropriate for the day ahead. For example: “It is never too late to be what you might have been.” – George Eliot or “All our dreams can come true – if we have the courage to pursue them.” – Walt Disney
3. Let go of any negative thoughts or grudges you may be harbouring. Know that harbouring ill feelings or negativity towards someone will only drag you down and prevent you from being at your best. Keeping your head clear will leave room for creativity and all the productive things you want to accomplish for the day.
4. Forgiving others is also good for your heart. A study from the Journal of Behavioural Medicine found forgiveness and letting go to be associated with a lower heart rate and blood pressure as well as relieving stress. So channel your inner Elsa and ‘Let it go’.
5. Take a moment to breathe. Try to get into the habit of stopping a number of times a day to check your breathing. Is it quick and shallow? We hold so much tension in our breath – once we stop, acknowledge it and allow ourselves to breath more deeply – our body and mind instantly begin to relax and the positivity flows.
More like this:
The social network for mothers
11 great things about being a mom
When did you get YOU back?