These light-as-a-feather scones with raspberry cream are a perfect anytime treat and a joy to bake.
For the scones:
- 450g self-raising flour
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 50g caster sugar
- 110g butter, cubed
- 2 eggs
- 50ml double cream
- 200ml milk
For the raspberry cream:
- 60g fresh raspberries
- 250ml double cream
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4. Sift the our and baking powder into a large mixing bowl. Stir in the sugar.
2. Rub in the butter with your ngertips until the mixture is crumbly.
3. Beat one egg with the cream and milk, then stir into the mixing bowl until the dough is soft and moist, but not too wet.
4. Gather the dough into a ball and turn it out onto a lightly oured surface. Lightly roll it until it is about 3cm thick and use a small, round biscuit cutter to stamp out rounds.
5. Beat the remaining egg with one tablespoon of water. Place the scones on a baking tray and brush over the egg mixture.
6. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until golden brown. Leave to cool slightly on a wire rack.
7. Meanwhile, use a fork to mash the raspberries in a small bowl and set aside.
8. Beat the cream until thick, then beat in the sugar, vanilla and lemon zest. Gently fold in the mashed raspberries.
9. When the scones have cooled slightly, split them in half and ll with a large dollop of the raspberry cream.
Per Serving: 265kcals, 14.6g fat (8.8g saturated), 28.9g carbs, 5.1g sugars, 4.8g protein, 1.1g bre, 0.07g sodium
More like this:
5 fab sugar free snacks
Gluten-free lemon coconut bars
Apple and cinnamon scones