What is strata?
Strata is a type of layered casserole from America. The most common modern variant is a brunch dish, similar to a quiche or frittata, made from a mixture which mainly consists of bread, eggs and cheese. It may also include meat or vegetables.
Here’s our version of smoked cheese and spinach strata!
- 120g baguette, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 125g mushrooms, quartered
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
- Salt and black pepper
- 4 handfuls of baby spinach
- 4 large eggs
- 240ml whole milk
- 100g smoked Gouda or other smoked cheese of choice, grated
To serve: Green salad
1. Preheat the oven to 230°C/210˚C fan/gas mark 8. While it’s heating, spread the bread cubes on a large rimmed baking tray and toast in the heating oven for 3-5 minutes until dry and golden. Remove and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, in an ovenproof pan with a lid, melt the butter over a medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes until soft but not browned.
3. Add the mushrooms, garlic, thyme, and seasoning. Cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, then add the spinach and cook for another two minutes until wilted.
4. In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs and milk together with a little salt and pepper. Add the cheese and bread into the bowl, toss until combined, then transfer to the pan with the mushrooms. Stir until all of the ingredients are distributed evenly, then press down with the back of a spatula to flatten the mixture a little.
5. Cover with a lid and bake for 10 minutes. Remove the lid and bake for another 10-12 minutes until set in the centre and golden on top. Rest for five minutes, then slice and serve with a green salad.
Per Serving 339kcals, 18.6g fat (9.2g saturated), 23.8g carbs, 5.7g sugars, 19.2g protein, 2g fibre, 0.479g sodium
More like this:
Veggie noodle salad
Steak with whiskey sauce